Black Quinoa and Mushroom Salad
Serves: 4 – 6 | 10 Minute Prep Time | 30 Minutes to Cook
Everyone at your holiday gathering will be grateful for this lovely and delicious side dish! Black quinoa, shitake mushrooms and fresh herbs come together so beautifully and easily. Super flavorful, rich in protein and vitamins, gluten-free, and vegetarian, this is the one dish everyone can agree on. Your guests will thank you for being so thoughtful!
- Cook quinoa according to package directions with broth (or organic Better Than Bullion) and some aromatics if desired (bayleaf, bouquet garnish of herbs, etc.). Set aside.
- Dry toast walnuts or pecans in pan over medium low heat until fragrant, making sure not to burn.
- Sauté one large shallot in a generous amount of evoo on med to med high heat until crispy and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain over a napkin and set aside.
- In same shallot oil, cook remaining shallots in evoo over medium heat until translucent. Add more oil if needed.
- Add in mushrooms in single layer, first tossing to coat and then cooking undisturbed for 3-5 minutes until bottom side is golden brown. Season mushrooms with S&P and toss, cooking until mushrooms are browned all over.
- Add a splash of broth and a splash of red wine vinegar to deglaze the pan. Toss to coat. Move mushrooms to one side and add in butter, garlic clove, and thyme. As butter foams, tilt pan towards you, spooning over the mushrooms as if basting a meat. Remove garlic clove and herbs and turn off the heat.
- Add quinoa to the pan with parmesan, juice of 1/2 lemon, and chopped parsley and cilantro. Taste for salt and acidity, adding more salt and/or lemon juice as needed.
- Top with fried shallots and walnuts.
- Shortcuts: Use pre-toasted nuts; use store-bought fried onion or shallot such as Maesri or Lars Own.
- To make vegan: use olive oil instead of butter and omit the Parmagiano Reggiano.