Aspen Fall Salad
Serves: 6 – 8 | 10 Minute Prep Time | 5 Minutes to Cook
Inspired by the kale salad at Meat and Cheese restaurant in Aspen during a beautiful summer trip, this mix is perfect for cooler temperatures. The mix of greens, the crisp apple, pickled onion, crushed almonds and the not-to-be-missed crispy shallots come together for the perfect meal starter. Instead of Meat and Cheese’s yuzu vinaigrette, we went with an easy oil and vinegar combo using Acid League’s Meyer Lemon Honey Vinegar, a must in your pantry. We are loving this for easy, family weeknight dinners. But our Aspen salad would also be a wonderful addition to your holiday table.
- Pickle the onions by placing onion slivers in 1/2 cup of vinegar and sprinkle of salt, set aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients
- Prepare the flax egg by combining 1 tbsp of flaxseed meal with 3 tbsp of water and allow to sit for five minutes until thickened. Place the flour in a shallow bowl and add salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Heat 3 tbsp avocado oil in a small sauté pan over medium high
- Dip the shallot rings into the flax egg, then into the flour and gently drop rings into sauté pan until golden brown
- Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on a plate lined with a paper towel. Set aside.
- Roughly chop 3/4 cup of almonds with a knife and set aside
- Make the dressing by mixing 3/4 cup high quality extra virgin olive oil with 1/4cup Acid League Meyer Lemon Honey vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the salad: In a large bowl combine the kale, arugula and baby greens. Add the diced apple, crushed almonds and pickled onions (drained).
- Lightly pour dressing over bowl (don’t overdress- you’ll have extra) and toss.
- Add crispy shallots on top
- Serve and enjoy!